Known today as the Poland Place it was originally part of David Beard’s farm and, for a time owned by his son, Asa. The modest house here was probably built by Asa around 1815. He soon got involved building the mill at the outlet of Granite Lake and building a larger house at C-5-11. In 1828 Samuel Poland moved here from Winchendon, Massachusetts with his wife, Thankful (Smith) and six children. They and bought 90 acres and welcomed their seventh. The family returned to Winchendon after only 4 years and the home was abandoned afterwards. It does not appear on the 1858 county map.