This video is from an episode of New Hampshire Crossroads, a New Hampshire Public Television program, aired in 1983. In it Gordon Peery is heard talking about the age of the hall and the longevity of the dancing in Nelson. At the time the Town Hall had the date 1787 above the door. Naturally this caused Gordon and many others to assume that the hall had been there all that time. It turns out the original meeting house was built where the village was first established, up the hill (by the cemetery) in that year. When it was dismantled in 1846, some salvaged material was used in the 1846 construction — the chestnut joists are still visible today under the Town Hall floor.
Nevertheless the enthusiasm that is narrated throughout this video indicates the passion with which dancers and musicians have nurtured (if not embellished) the reputation of the hall.