This structure was built in 1855 likely as the mill office and crew quarters for the steam powered sawmill 100 yards to its east at B-5-7. The main house is almost square and it has a long, rectangular “ell.” Perhaps the house was the office/kitchen and the “ell” housed the crew. There’s a well and the outline of an outhouse. Ornate cast iron stove parts and the remains of a pint flask confirm the sites date as mid nineteenth century.
Represented by a small foundation today, this house was built by Elliot J. Davis in the summer of 1858. It is likely that Davis was associated in some way with the steam sawmill at B-5-7. Read More . . .