Barker place in the late 1800s
This home is associated with two of Nelson’s founding families. John Breed JR was the grandson of one of Nelson’s founders, Dr. Nathaniel Beed. He was born to Nathaniel Breed’s second son, John, and his wife, Sarah Felt at D-4-9 in 1785. That home was just up the hill to the east of his grandfather’s home (D-4-8.) He lived for a while at home before moving to a small house built by Isaac Brown on 100 acres of land in Nelson’s northwest quarter. Lot #3 in range 6 had been divided when Sullivan was formed and Breed’s land was in both towns. In 1825 he bought the place and, in the early 1840’s began building a new house closer to the Keene to Concord road at this location. He would sell the place ad move to Franklin, NH before the house was complete
The book A History of the Town of Sullivan New Hampshire 1777-1917 says as follows:
“John Breed sold the place to Lyman Stone of Hooksett. Mr. Stone did not move at once. The Breeds had formerly lived in another house upon the farm and this house was not finished when it was sold. Before Stone occupied it, James Matthews, who came from Hancock, occupied the farm for a short time. He was the grandfather of the writer of this work, whose parents, David Seward and Arvilla Matthews, were married in this house, Oct. i, 1840. Lyman Stone lived here a long time. The house has been, for many years, the home of Thaddeus W. Barker.”
Lyman Stone bought a 140-acre farm with a partially built new house. Deeds suggest he was here from 1842 to 1872. He probably built most of what’s in this Thaddeus Barker era picture.
Israel Gilman Adams was next (1872-1876) followed by Thaddeus Barker (III) the 4th generation of his family. Priscilla Walter, the current resident of the house, is Thaddeus’ grand-daughter and the 7th generation of the Barker family in Nelson.