D-4-12

Joseph Stanhope

Bought the place from Breed Batchellor in 1769 and described as “the place Joseph Stanhope now lives.”  Seems to have come in 1767 and by 1774 had 18 acres cleared, fifteen more cutover and a pole house built. He amassed quite a large farm before selling the homestead to Archelaus Wilson of Temple  in 1777. Wilson built his own house on the same property at E-4-13.