John Brown

There is no extant record of John Brown’s ownership here, but Wadsworth supports the idea that he did. John Brown had a mill at the outlet of Woodward Pond (B-2-1) prior to 1788 when a road description mentions his mill. Brown may have lived at the mill itself or he may have built the house here. In 1788 Joseph Brown of Keene bought the property. It was sold it to Amasa Brown “with the dwelling house and barn thereon standing” in 1794. Amasa Brown moved to Keene in 1831 and Samuel and Benjamin Brown, probably his sons, sold the place in 1847. The Browns were the only family to occupy the home. The cellar hole is a large one 40×40’.