Samuel Griffin built the house circa 1805. Griffin was a Major General in the NH state militia. He was the son of Samuel and Sophia (Foster) Griffin and was born in 1784 at D-3-6. This house and 20 acres were held back from Roxbury when that town was formed in 1812, possibly because of Griffin’s prominence. It became part of Roxbury in 1820. Griffin was succeeded by Hermon Wheeler in 1835. On Wheeler’s death it passed to Cassius M.C. Phillips in 1892. He sold to J.W. Buckminster in 1909 who was probably the last resident.